Options for housing in NSW

Community Housing

Community Housing is one of three ways social housing is provided in NSW along with public housing and Aboriginal housing.

It is affordable housing that is subsidised by a housing association and/or the Government.

Community housing may be an option for your family member. To search for community housing providers you can enter a suburb or state to see a full list of approved providers on the National Provider Register

Refer to NSW community housing eligibility for more information. 

How to apply for community housing

Commonwealth Rent Assistance (CRA)
CRA is an income supplement provide through the Department of Social Services to eligible people who rent in the private rental market or in community housing.

NSW Private Rental Assistance
There are several kinds of private rental assistance available from Housing NSW, the state government housing department (which also provides public housing). These include Rentstart bond loans, small amounts of advance rent, tenancy assistance to help people who have fallen into arrears and a statement of satisfactory tenancy for public housing tenants who are moving to the private rental market. There is also a tenancy guarantee of up to $1500 to encourage private landlords to rent to people without a previous private rental history.

NSW Private Brokerage Service to assist people in moving into a private rental arrangement.

NSW Private Rental Subsidy

Assists with paying the rent for up to three years and provides support to build capacity for independent living.

Options for support in NSW

Support to live independently now falls under the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Please visit the NDIS housing area for more information and to determine eligibility. Also visit our webpage Advocacy and the NDIS for further information and guidance.


© 2015 - 2024 Family Advocacy. Site by Internetrix.